Lake Atitlan, Panajachel, Guatemala

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Here it is as promised-- Submissions Contest!

WiDo Publishing's acquisition's editor, Allie Maldonado, was impressed by the quality of submissions during the Lettuce Write & Submit contest last summer. Several of the entries got requests for fulls, and one entry was offered a contract for publication. Now Allie is getting hungry again. She wants more!!

Are you interested? 

Allie will review each submission and email you a paragraph or two feedback on both your query and your sample chapters. Each entry will receive her critique. (If you submitted during the previous contest and want to resubmit the same ms, reworked and revised, that is fine.)

* If she wants to see more, she will request a full.

* If she loves it, she will request a promotional plan. 

Up to three, possibly fewer but no more than three submissions will be selected for further review and an offer of publication with WiDo Publishing!

What to do:

* Go to WiDo's website and see if you are a good fit. If your work is suited for them, Allie is more likely to put it at the top of the heap.

* Follow me here (I really want to see 600, getting hungry, so sue me) and also follow WiDo's Facebook page. (During the month of January, they are honoring my mother by using the FARM GIRL cover as their Facebook avatar. I like this.)

* Spread the word through your favorite social media venues.

* Submit your query and first three chapters to Allie at submissions@widopublishing.com. In subject line, include the words 'KarenG's contest' and in the cover letter, include what you did such as, 'follow fb page, follower on KarenG's blog, tweeted or blogged about the contest, etc.'

Tips from Allie: 

Do not include misspelled words, horrible grammar, and cliches in your query or the first couple paragraphs of the submission. It really hurts your chances of being seen as a serious contender for publication. 

WiDo doesn't publish graphic sex or profanity. Romance is great, erotica not so much. 

Will critique a MG entry if you want to submit one, but WiDo doesn't publish anything less than 50k words, just so you know that up front.

Please understand this is a simple overview (a couple paragraphs), not a complete analysis of your work, although each submission will be read.

This contest is open until March 1.  Enter, enter, enter and good luck to all!

38 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll pass. I'm already with a great publisher. ;)

    Now, back to my edits.
    Clarissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clarissa, Yes you scored with the last contest LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, what a great opportunity. If I had a full MS to submit I would, but I'm still three chapters out on a completed novel with no end in sight due to school and volunteer work. Who ever is picked will have an awesome opportunity

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, I wish I could get my WiP finished in time, but I know I can't. Good luck to everyone who does try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is this contest only open to kidlit?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic opportunity!! Thank you so much KarenG, Allie and WiDo!!!!! Good luck everyone!!!! I can't wait to see who wins cos last time it was the ever so fabulous Clarissa Draper and that was so exciting!!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting! I wish my WiP was finished, but it's only half way there. However, this is encouragement to get in there and finish it so it will be ready next time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. BTW - I see that nothing less than 50K will be published, but what is a "MG" that can still get critiqued?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Latoya, Kidlit? No, not at all. In fact WiDo doesn't publish children's illustrated books or much middle grade that is below 50K unless it has something really special about it.

    Sheila, If you have a MG novel that you want an editor's opinion on you can enter but see above comment on WiDo's publishing of MG.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Allie is so awesome! As are your contests Karen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not there but nice to know opportunities are out there :) Keep up the good work Karen.
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karen, this is awesome. Wishing everyone the best!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is cool, I missed last years contest cos we had not met then :-)
    off to the wido website

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanx for the heads up and the opportunity

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cool, thanks for letting us all know, Karen!

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  17. March 1? Hmmm. Now I have a goal. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cool! I'll have to see what I can do. =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Not right for me but what a fabulous competition + opportunity! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Holy cow, this is awesome! I put it on my calendar. I need to prepare a brilliant query STAT! Thanks so much to you and Allie.

    LOVE the Farm Girl picture on the Facebook page :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is fantastic. I've sent in my submission!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so fantastic, Karen. How exciting that our blogging buddies can have the opportunity to be published - and all through your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sa-weet!!! Thanks for the info! :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Coo, will be submitting. Good luck everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I meant 'cool' obviously! Good start.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a wonderful opportunity. Thank you! I may resubmit a revised version of The Mist Chasers. Or maybe I'll submit Aura. The possibilities...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great contest, Karen! Thanks for that! Just wondering.... Do you know if a prologue would count as a chapter? Or should I submit the prologue plus the first three chapters?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Karen,
    I decided to help you out with numbers. Sent a submission off into the cosmos. Ros

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think I'll go ahead and submit to the contest, since my MG is 50k AND is really an upper MG/lower YA... so maybe it will interest them! :)

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi, Karen,

    #601! I just wanted to thank you for this amazing opportunity. I will definitely submit. I have an upper m/g story which might fit.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great! I'll enter next week. We're having our loft enclosed and my PV with all my "stuff" is set aside (on wifey's iMac now). I'll do this next week. thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just sent my entry!!! So excited!! Good luck to everyone!

    ReplyDelete